Car Bomb In Somalia Kills Around 100



A terrorist attack near the Education Ministry in the Somali capital of Mogadishu has killed around 100 people, and injured hundreds more. Local media reports the bombs were set off from two vehicles in the area.  Unconfirmed footage uploaded to social media shows the extent of the destruction.

"So far, people who died have reached 100 and 300 are wounded, and the number for both the death and wounded continues to increase,"  President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said on Sunday said after visiting the bombing location.

Two cars packed with explosives were detonated minutes apart near the busy Zobe junction, followed by gunfire in an attack targeting Somalia's education ministry.

The afternoon explosions shattered windows of nearby buildings, sending shrapnel flying and plumes of smoke and dust into the air.

The attack took place at the same busy junction where a truck packed with explosives blew up on October 14, 2017, killing 512 people and injuring more than 290.

Mohamud described the incident as "history", saying "it is the same place, and the same innocent people involved."

"This is not right. God willing, they will not be having an ability to do another Zobe incident," he said, referring to the Islamist group Al-Shabaab.

The jihadists have been seeking to overthrow the fragile foreign-backed government in Mogadishu for about 15 years.

Its fighters were driven out of the capital in 2011 by an African Union force but the group still controls swathes of countryside and continues to wage deadly strikes on civilian and military targets.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post